Attractions Around the Robe Area
Robe Tourism have more detail HERE.
There are so many different activities that you can be involved in around Robe. They range from activities for the very fit and able persons to those that may suit the more elderly and disabled amongst us.
A list with a brief description in included here but there may be many other options that you may think should also be listed.
- Obelisk... walk or drive... a short drive or a walk from the town out to the tip of Cape Dombey to see the Obelisk which was built in 1855.
- Old Gaol... walk or drive... on the way out to the Obelisk the remains of the old gaol can be seen. They have been partly restored and access is unlimited.
- The Outlet... walk or drive... on the outskirts of Robe on the way into town.This is the outlet for much water that reaches the sea from drains that have been constructed over the years to turn swampland into valuable fertile farmland.
- Lake Butler Boat Haven... walk or drive... A peaceful boat harbour that has been opened to the sea for the professional & amateur fishermen to launch or moor their boats. The fishing fleet can be easily inspected while they are at rest. This is also a very productive area for the land based angler to try his luck.
- Beacon Hill Lookout... walk or drive... within walking distance for active people this lookout commands a wonderful view out over the surrounding land and sea. A good set of binoculars will be most advantageous once you are atop the tower.
- Long Beach... walk or drive... a wonderful stretch of sand that runs for 10kms from the town towards Cape Jaffa. The firm sands allow vehicles to drive the length of this beach but extreme caution is advised if not 4WD & if tides are high. Some terrific surf fishing can be had along this beach.
- Lake Fellmongery... walk or drive... on the way into Robe the skiing lake can be seen on your left hand side. This lake is suitable for water skiing and is fresh water. There is a boat ramp & a ski jump for the adventurous.
- Little Dip Conservation Park... drive... accessed from the Nora Criena road this sandy park is accessable by 4WD with extreme care and includes some surfing spots and good surf fishing areas as well. Please follow the indicated tracks within this area.
- Coorong National Park...drive... access to this park is from the Princess Highway North of Kingston. Surf fishing, 4WD driving, bird watching are some of the activities for this area. A camping permit is required if staying overnight.
- Naracoorte Caves... drive... a nice days outing if the weather turns bad while you are staying in Robe. There are several caves that have regularly conducted tours through them. These caves are world famous and people from all corners of the world have taken advantage of a tour to inspect them.
- Blue Lake... drive... another lovely day trip from Robe to see the Blue Lake on the very outskirts of Robe. Take advantage of one of the viewing platforms that have been constructed to improve the view and enable some wonderful photography.
- Wineries... drive... The Mt Benson and Cape Jaffa areas are becoming a new vibrant area for cool climate wines and there are quite a few vineyards in this area that have cellar door sales and wine tasting facilities.
- Forestry... drive... within easy driving distance are thousands of hectares of pine forests and in recent times there have been many hectares of hardwood trees planted for wood chipping purposes. Forestry is a very big industry within the South East of South Australia.
- Cape Jaffa... drive... a short drive from Robe is the small fishing village of Cape Jaffa. This town is the main centre for the fishing fleet that used to be housed in Kingston. Of recent times a huge marina has been under cionstruction and within a few years will become a playground for the well off amongst us. The finished marina will be similar to West Lakes or the Gold Coast with houses abutting the waterways.
- Shopping Centre... walk or drive... the shopping precinct in Robe has a varied range of the usual supermarkets, stores and Post Office as well as many boutique souvineer shops and cafe's. The tourist atmosphere in this area is one to behold!!